When you use an item on your skin, you want it to work, right? You want it to leave your skin soft and glowing, and you don’t want it to cause any rashes or irritations.
Well, Many of today’s products are made with components that irritate the skin. They may include sulfates and other ingredients that are not only bad for your complexion but also harm the environment and other aspects of your health.
Fortunately, many of today’s companies are aware of the harmful ingredients in modern products and are doing something about it. They are making items that are kinder to your skin and Mother Earth. Let's open up this discussion about personal care products and the synthetic materials that may irritate your skin and recommend skin-friendly solutions.
It’s not unusual for women to develop rashes due to the menstrual pads they are using. Menstrual pads are made of many layers that may be comprised of irritating materials. These include:
- Back sheet: The back sheet of a sanitary pad is typically made of compounds called polyolefins. Although they are generally safe, there is a chance that they may irritate sensitive skin.
- Absorbent core: The absorbent core of a sanitary pad is made from foam and wood cellulose. The foam material is most likely to contribute to skin irritations.
- Top Sheet: The top sheet of a menstrual pad is typically made with polyolefins and coated with moisturizing zinc oxide. Allergic reactions to zinc oxide are rare but not impossible.
- Fragrance: Some menstrual pads may have fragrances that irritate the skin. However, most fragranced layers are placed near the absorbent core, away from the skin, where they are unlikely to cause any irritations.
Synthetic pads are also made with a lot of plastic that traps moisture close to the skin. This effect can increase the risk of allergic reactions and skin irritations.
The synthetic components in menstrual pads also make them harmful to the environment. Their plastic components are not fully biodegradable. The man-made materials also make them stiffer, making them uncomfortable to wear.
Cosmetic Pads and Swabs
Cosmetic pads and swabs are often made of cotton, an all-natural material that won’t irritate the skin. However, cotton is soft, and pads and swabs may come apart while using them. It is also not the most environmental solution considering all the water and land that goes into producing cotton.
There are also cosmetic pads that are comprised of man-made materials. They are stiffer, so they won’t come apart when you use them. However, they can irritate the skin. They also contain elements that are harmful to the environment.
So what’s the best solution? Hemp pads and swabs are recommended because they are all-natural and more durable than cotton. They won’t stretch out of shape while they are being used. Hemp also uses less water than cotton making them an environmental choice.
Note some cosmetic pads and wipes may be soaked in a product, such as a makeup remover or moisturizer containing synthetic ingredients that irritate the skin. Read labels carefully and beware of products that contain:
- Lactic acid
- Glycolic acid
- Alpha hydroxy acid
Many clothing materials cause skin rashes. Materials like polyester, nylon, spandex, rayon, and rubber don’t breathe as well as natural products. They make you sweat more, increasing the likelihood that a rash will appear.
Irritations may also occur due to the dyes and other chemicals in the clothing. For example, formaldehyde resins used to make clothing dirt or wrinkle-repellent can cause a reaction.
Nickel is another common irritant. It can be found in clothing buttons and snaps, as well as various types of jewelry.
Why Hemp is a Better Choice
Hemp is used in making various products thanks to its durability and eco-friendliness. Here are some reasons why you should look for hemp menstrual pads, cosmetic pads, swabs, and clothing.
- Eco-Friendly: Hemp is completely biodegradable. It does not require pesticides to grow. It decontaminates and aerates the soil. It replenishes easily.
- Durable: Hemp is more durable than most materials. It's four times as strong as cotton and it won’t weaken when it’s washed.
- Good for Skin: Hemp is good for the skin. It is not irritating. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can improve skin elasticity and reduce wrinkles.
- Soothes Skin: Hemp also has skin-soothing properties. It is known to reduce dryness and itchiness. It may even be beneficial to people with eczema.
- Breathable: Hemp is a lightweight and highly breathable clothing material. It allows moisture to pass from the skin into the atmosphere reducing the risk of rashes. It is also antibacterial.
Hempress Hygienics is Doing Our Part
Hempress Hygienics believes in the power of hemp. We create hemp personal care products that are biodegradable and kind to your skin. We use transparent ingredients you can feel good about putting on your body.
Our products include cosmetic pads and swabs and menstrual pads and liners. We provide everything you need to take your wellness to the next level. Shop our line store to find products that are good for you and good for the environment.